WCT Youth Group
Who are we:
The Whitby Courthouse Theatre Youth Group is an educational program that introduces young people between the ages of 11 and 18 to the world of musical theatre. The program runs each year between September and June. All applicants must audition every year to be accepted into this limited space program. Auditions are usually held in September with the specific date posted on the website by the summer.
Throughout the year, the youth have the opportunity to learn about the theatre, music, movement and more in addition to participating in exciting workshops, such as improvisation, voice, costumes and make-up.
They also learn:
Acting – working with a director and assistant director, they learn delivery, act pacing, improvisation, auditioning skills, voice projection, etc.
Music – working with a musical director, they learn about singing, theory, notation, time signatures, breath, rhythm, tone, etc.
Movement – working with a choreographer, they learn how to move on stage, dance steps, floor patterns, etc.
Behind the Scenes – working with the artistic and production teams, they learn about hair, make-up, stage management, set design/construction, costuming, lighting, sound, production, etc.
Theatre Etiquette – the overall experience, including working front of house, wrangling and assisting with stage management provides youth with a unique opportunity to fuel a lifelong love of the arts.
Life Skills – involvement in theatre creates and builds significant life skills such as public speaking and presentation, responsibility, commitment and most significantly confidence and team work.
About the group:
- Every applicant must audition every year to be accepted into our program (limited spots available). See audition information for details.
- Classes run Saturday mornings from 9 am to 12 noon from September to June. Commitment extends to Monday and Wednesday evenings in March and Sunday afternoons are added in May. Youth must be able to commit to regular attendance.
- The program culminates with a musical production that runs the first two weeks in June of each year.
- The group is open to youth ages 11 - 18 (both by December of that year).
- Cost of the program is $200* (which includes a single Whitby Courthouse Theatre adult membership, together with one youth membership) * The fee may change without notice.
- The program does not tolerate any bullying of any kind.
- Parents are required to assist throughout the year with snacks on a rotating basis as well as other volunteer duties related to the production.
- Families perform front of house duties on a rotating basis throughout the year.